[Gllug] More ISP 'choice': Bulldog LLU unable to give MAC codes

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 15:31:11 UTC 2007

DL Neil wrote:
> Have finally persuaded Bulldog Broadband to accept the Royal Order of
> the Boot. Both short-listed replacements (one LLU, one on top of BT)
> advised that I obtain a MAC code as their means of taking over from
> Bulldog (specifically).
>
> Bulldog's Cancellation Team would only gave me a "Cancellation
> Reference Number". I firmly requested a MAC code anyway, but the guy I
> spoke to read out an email he claimed is the response if he requests
> MACs on LLU lines: <<It is not possible to generate a MAC code for LLU
> as it is incompatible with BT's migration process>>*
>
> I'm bemused: are they saying BT doesn't handle MAC codes?

If Bulldog have unbundled the line (MPF - Voice and DSL) then the MAC
process does not apply, as you do not have a BT line. The MAC process
applies if you are moving to/from a BTwholesale-based service or an SMPF
(partial unbundled) line only.

> Doesn't BT OpenWave (?correct name) administer the last mile?

Openreach, and yes.

> So with whom does
> Bulldog/C&W/Pipex/Tiscali have to be "compatible" if not BT? Is this
> "Cancellation Reference" a MAC code sufficient unto the purposes of
> other ISPs/LLUs or is it a device whereby I end up paying a lot more
> to have my connection changed-over?

You will have to get a BT-based (i.e not fully unbundled) phoneline
installed before you can order ADSL from a BTwholesale based ISP. Some
ISPs can install the line for you as well.

> Ofcom's web site talks of:
> # a seamless switch known as the ?MAC process?;
> # a seamless switch known as the ?letter facilitation process?;
> # a seamless switch known as ?provide then cease?; and
> # a non seamless switch known as ?cease and re-provide?

None of which are applicable to the ADSL service if the line has been
fully unbundled except the last (ceasing the current line and getting a
new line, not necessary in that order).

<http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/2973-compulsory-migration-process-for-dsl-providers-from-14th-february.html>

"These rules do not affect cable, wireless or satellite broadband
providers. The MAC process currently applies to migrations both from and
to IPStream, Datastream and shared LLU products. For fully unbundled
products the rules do not apply at this time, but as suitable processes
become available providers are expected to comply."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk