[Gllug] More ISP 'choice': Bulldog LLU unable to give MAC codes

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Aug 24 15:27:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 15:56 +0100, DL Neil wrote:
> Bulldog's Cancellation Team would only gave me a "Cancellation
> Reference Number". I firmly requested a MAC code anyway, but the guy I
> spoke to read out an email he claimed is the response if he requests
> MACs on LLU lines: <<It is not possible to generate a MAC code for LLU
> as it is incompatible with BT's migration process>>*
>
> I'm bemused: are they saying BT doesn't handle MAC codes?

They seem to be saying that and if they are it is a lie. We often
migrate customers' ADSL connections from LLU.

It may be complicated with Bulldog as they may have unbundled the phone
line in which case you would need to arrange to move that back to BT
first.

>  Doesn't BT
> OpenWave (?correct name) administer the last mile? So with whom does
> Bulldog/C&W/Pipex/Tiscali have to be "compatible" if not BT? Is this
> "Cancellation Reference" a MAC code sufficient unto the purposes of
> other ISPs/LLUs or is it a device whereby I end up paying a lot more
> to have my connection changed-over?

It's BT Openreach and yes they are the sole guardians of the exchange
and last mile however LLU operators have their own kit in the exchange
which BTO will have to disconnect your connection (and possibly your
line as well) from to get it back on the BT platform.

The "Cancellation Reference" is no good to anyone although it may be
that as you have to move your phone line first which will cause an
automatic cease of the ADSL service it's irrelevant if that's the case.

BT charge for migration from LLU at the same rate as for a new
connection as the process is a cease and reprovide as far as BT are
concerned so you are likely to either be charged accordingly or tied
into a long contract.

> Ofcom's web site talks of:
> # a seamless switch known as the ?MAC process?;
> # a seamless switch known as the ?letter facilitation process?;
> # a seamless switch known as ?provide then cease?; and
> # a non seamless switch known as ?cease and re-provide?

OFCOM have been negligence in that they have to date refused to do their
job in respect of LLU operators. Complain to them anyway as they will
only ever take the issue or LLU regulation seriously when they get
sufficiently bothered about it.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk