[Gllug] Things taking up space in

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 12:22:08 UTC 2007

On Mon 20 Aug, phil at hands.com wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 06:16:24PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Sat 18 Aug, Alex Crow wrote:
> > >
> > > Ahh.. forgot my catalog - meagre by comparison, and mostly Intel:
> > >
> >    The selection offered seems much too good for the dump, but I would not
> > have a sensible use for it unless I start operating as ISP for everyone in
> > the area, (I am only a few yards from the Carphone Warehouse HQ, so I think
> > they might do better).
>
> Talk Talk?  Are you kidding?
>
> Unless you're a misanthropic sociopath with sporadic amnesia, I think
> you'd struggle to do a worse job than Talk Talk.
>
> I can refer you to my brother if you want the details.  Of course, he
> may attempt to kill you if you say the words Talk Talk to him, and I
> don't think there's a court in the land that wouldn't let him off on the
> grounds of diminished responsibility if he did.

   I have thought about it, but this is an area that has previously suffered
planning blight (a large flyover project that was cancelled as soon as a few
hundred people were evicted and their homes demolished). Long term residents
that remain have either made their own arrangements or have decided that
they do not wish to have any connection. Some other houses are temporary
squats, but most have been converted to single room bedsits for short-term
letting with an ever-changing population. The ideal for those residents
might be some nearby internet cafe.
   There are other people around here with computers, I was testing a new
ADSL wireless modem and found that the wireless connection was already
carrying data before I sat down at my keyboard (I did not have any other
wireless facilities running).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk