[Gllug] Securely disposing of old hard drives

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 11:19:14 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> the sledgehammer treatment, which is tricky for me because
> I don't own a sledgehammer nor know anyone with one

Just break the circuit board on the underside of the drive with a pair
of pliers. The truly determined could still retrieve the data from the
platters, but it'll deter the casual data thief, which was your
initally stated requirement, and is quicker than software based
solutions (dd, etc).

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk