[Gllug] DRM - Trash Vista, Not Your Computer

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Aug 30 11:17:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:19:40AM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >> I don't consider this appropriate material to be posted this list.
> >> This is a Linux User Group, not a Perceived Infrigement Of Rights Wot I
> >> Spotted This Week, Waaaaah! group.
> >>

> > Well DRM does impact on Linux - in particular our ability to do things
> > like write open source media players, restricting info on graphics
> > cards hardware so we can't write drivers which might get around DRM
> > provisions, etc, etc.
>
> DRM, in the purest form, _enforces_ your right to do things like write
> open source media players etc etc.
[...]
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=105115686114064&w=2

I'm not sure how you got from a Linus rant on signing off binaries, to
DRM enforcing your rights to write open source media players.

I have a machine next to my desk with Palladium / Intel TXT / TPM
(whatever they're calling it this week) on it.  It allows me in theory
to sign the operating system from the trusted BIOS up to my trusted
Linux and trusted applications, although in practice it's a bit of a
mystery how to use it, so it's on the same shelf as my chocolate
teapot.  Anyway, all very useful to make sure my server's boot disk
hasn't been compromised.

What's bad about this is when a billion Windows PCs contain secret
keys loaded on to them by cartels so that only they can play DVDs.
Then I _won't_ be able to play my (legally purchased) DVDs on my
machine any more because it'll want to snitch back to the media/codec
cartel to make sure the disk / graphics card / monitor / operating
system / software / DVD player haven't been "compromised".

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat