[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun Jul 1 11:34:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Peter Childs wrote:

> Yes its better but not wonderful yet. Every version of Ubuntu is better
> but it still will not do duel screen and work with every every single
> wireless card out of the box like windows!

Windows doesn't work with every wireless card out of the box.

I have a Buffalo Airstation PCI card. While it works on 1 PC under Vista
on another identical system (bought at the same time) it does not work.
Under Ubuntu all I had to do was to upload the firmware file and it
worked.

On an older PC I had to use ndiswrapper with the supplied Windows drivers
which was also easy with Ubuntu.

Vista doesn't allow you to load manufacturer's drivers if it believes it
has a newer driver of its own.

> Agreed but at least every manufacture has the drivers for windows and
> everything will work. (Even if not out of the box...)

Until the user has to reinstall due to spyware, virus or worm investation.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk