[Gllug] Tweaking a 3Ware 9690SA system..

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Fri Jan 18 10:44:43 UTC 2008

Martyn Drake wrote:
> the best I can get from sequential block write is around 230MB/s mark,
> which seems awfully low.  The RAID 5 array has been set-up with a 64K
> stripe.  I'm using the latest driver directly from 3Ware.

It appears to be working. While testing a single stream of sequential
data is useful to demonstrate that it is working, unless this is what
you intend to use the device for, it is not instructive in the
slightest. Test it in your real-life situation, or a simulation of it.

Sorry to be flippant, but I see a lot of people wasting a lot of time on
this sort of stuff quite regularly, and unless you are seeing very poor
performace, it's largely not worth tinkering with these settings which
in my experience have little effect compared to, say, adding one more
disk. If you're that close to the wire, you bought the wrong thing; and
besides, if you wanted performance you shouldn't have chosen parity RAID. :)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk