[Gllug] Tweaking a 3Ware 9690SA system..

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 10:53:15 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 10:23 AM, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:

> Re the SAS Controller.
> Am I misreading this  ?

Nope.

> 230MBps  =  approx 1.8 Gbps I thought
> - which whilst is somewhat lower than 3 Gbps but maybe not 'awfully' lower.
>
> Theoretical transfer rates to discs never equate to real life transfer rates.
> For starters, its doubfful that the discs can cope with sustained transfers
> at the maximum rate, only 'bursts' at the max rate.

True, but I've seen transfer rates above 300MB/s using other, more
complex (and expensive) systems, and was wondering just how well these
SAS controllers perform in comparison.  If that's likely to be the
best, then fair enough, but I still wonder if there is more juice that
can be squeezed.

Regards,

Martyn
--