[Gllug] newbie install day

Diana Scott dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 23:58:46 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:30:18 +0000
> From: chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] newbie install day
>
>  On Tue 11 Nov, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> >

> > Are install-fests a means of attracting new members these days?
> > (genuine question from ignoramus)
> > - perhaps it fits with some of Sean's initiatives at the uni?
> >
>    I think it is likely to encourage new members to stay and become active,
> rather than attract new members, although it may encourage people to spread
> the word further. I think that we have brushed a few cobwebs in the past few
> days, with luck it will bring results.
>

> > Would there be interest in an install/configure/use hands-on and
> > practical demo event of a wider nature, eg questions about a wider range
> > of topics:
> > - adding wireless to your box/distro;
> > - getting CUPS to work (substitute your choice of: SAMBA, LVM, DNS....);
> > - compile and make for those who don't program;
> > - backup is done how?;
> > - peaceful co-existence in a heterogenous (home) network;
> > - add your thoughts/interests/biases/ignorances here -
> >
>    Almost definitely yes, there are likely to be quite a few nervous newbies
> worried about breaking their current system even more than it is already.
>    If we are pushed for more speakers this weekend there would probably be
> an audience for anything similar, even basic things like explaining that
> there are normally three active buttons on the mouse.

I have a new idea after reading the latest Linux Format Christmas 08 issue page 40 that feature how to build your own distro. I know it isn't the easiest thing to do but would it be fun to add this as a feature on the Newbie Install Day for the more experienced users / speakers not only to help the newbies to install their systems but also an opportunity to share their skills and knowledge in demostrating how to build your own distro. I think it would inspire and encourage the newbies to learn more about different aspects of linux and what it can build from it. The sky is the limit.

Diana

> > Regards,
> > =dn
>

> --