[Gllug] [OT] Email test

Harry Rickards harry at linux.com
Thu Oct 22 15:55:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've recently (yesterday) moved from my own Debian mailserver on a VPS
(fsckvps.com if anyone is looking for a cheap VPS, I've had nothing
but good service from them and though they were hacked into ~6 months
ago they responded to the problem quickly) to using gmail for a number
of reasons. I still need emails from both my harry at linux.com and
hrickards at l33tmyst.com to go through to my gmail
(h[.]rickards at g[oogle]mail.com), so I left harry at linux.com to
forwarding to hrickards at l33tmyst.com. l33tmyst.com is registered with
NameCheap (they had a twitter competition to win a free domain ~1 year
ago), so I simply reset the MX records to the default NameCheap ones
and setup their free email forwarding service. The DNS changes seem to
have happened fine (I'm using OpenDNS) and email sent to
echo at tu-berlin.de as harry at linux.com bounces back to gmail fine.
However, I seemed to have received less emails today than I usually do
(I've checked with Thunderbird as the web client seems to just count
each thread, not each message). The only messages on my old mailserver
account are ones generated by my server (l33tmyst.com is set to
127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts) and a spam email offering a £500 voucher or
something. This could just be a fluke, but to assure myself it is
would a couple of people be able to email harry at linux.com and/or
hrickards at l33tmyst.com to make sure the emails come through fine.
Please CC them to hrickards at gmail.com as well so I know if none have
come through.

Thanks
Harry Rickards - harry at linux.com
Debian Lenny server | Debian Sid desktop | UNR Karmic netbook
A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a
one-way street. - Doug Linder
Binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk