[Gllug] new project HA at home and away

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Nov 19 17:41:42 UTC 2010

On Thursday, 18 Nov 2010, Justin Perreault wrote:
>I cannot guarantee network access. Currently use 6 different
>passwords per user across the systems. Have multiple; clients pulling
>email from the net, sets of bookmarks, sets of active files and OS
>versions.

You seem to be in an odd situation if you are downloading email but
cannot guarantee network access.

I'm not trying to be snide here; it's just your requirements are not
very clear. Some stuff I use to achieve similar results:

VNC or suchlike tools (as suggested upthread) - access one desktop
session anywhere in the world.

screen. For any text-based tool - which for me includes my IRC client
and email reader - run it in a copy of "screen" and access it from
anywhere with an ssh client.

Distributed version control. It's not just for programming. Got a set
of files you edit on machines A, B, and C, and you won't always have
network access, and it's not absolutely vital when editing some of
them on A that you have the most recent update from B? Distributed
version control.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Friday, November.