[Gllug] new project HA at home and away

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sat Nov 20 02:18:29 UTC 2010

> On Thursday, 18 Nov 2010, Justin Perreault wrote:
> > I cannot guarantee network access. Currently use 6 different
> > passwords per user across the systems. Have multiple; clients pulling
> > email from the net, sets of bookmarks, sets of active files and OS
> > versions.
>
> You seem to be in an odd situation if you are downloading email but
> cannot guarantee network access.

Downloading of email happens when network access is available and a lack of network access is not a suitable excuse for not getting work done.

> I'm not trying to be snide here; it's just your requirements are not
> very clear.
You do not seem to be snide and I agree. I believe I am over thinking the problem and with it the solution. The response I have had so far has helped me consider more simple ways of dealing with this.

>Some stuff I use to achieve similar results:
>
> VNC or suchlike tools (as suggested upthread) - access one desktop
> session anywhere in the world.
>
> screen. For any text-based tool - which for me includes my IRC client
> and email reader - run it in a copy of "screen" and access it from
> anywhere with an ssh client.
Email will have images from time to time within the content. When there is net access it is high speed and I have a prefrence for GUIs.

> Distributed version control. It's not just for programming. Got a set
> of files you edit on machines A, B, and C, and you won't always have
> network access, and it's not absolutely vital when editing some of
> them on A that you have the most recent update from B? Distributed
> version control.
Thank you. I think this might play a definite role in reducing some of my mismanaged duplication.

I hope I am zeroing in on what I need need;
user friendly full desktop-F14
access from one of three locations-sync
uniform password access for users-sync
uniform os and apps across all users-not sure
protection from poor version control-Distributed version control

This should;
keep all the power each machine has
reduce the number of passwords needed
keep os and app maintenance tidier
protect work that is done
provide 3 points of 99.9% data backup

Thanks for the help so far. Typing it out like this and getting a few pointers is a lot of benefit.

Any additional suggestions will also be welcome.

Justin
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk