[Gllug] copying hard drives

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Sep 6 08:56:07 UTC 2011

On Tue 06 Sep, Oliver Krimpas wrote:

> Hi - I posted this message (below) yesterday and got a couple of responses, many thank
> s for those.
>
> Unfortunately the sourceforge software doesn't install on my Mac (errors). And a Mac c
> annot read and write Ext2 files. Plus the USB discs I am using would have to be correc
> tly formatted first, before copying the information over to them.
>
> I've spent hours fiddling with Ubuntu to try get it to work, and just can't. The CD cr
> ashes my Mac. I can boot it off a CD on an old PC I have, but I get errors when I try
> to format a USB drive and errors when I actually try to install it on the machine. I'v
> e run out of time, and need to do this soon.
>
> I really need to find someone who can physically help with this on their machine, even
>  if it's just copying one drive over. I have a little bit of money if that would make
> a difference, but as a fledgling film-maker, my pockets aren't that deep. Much as I ap
> preciate suggestions on how to do this myself, I just don't have the time to spend hou
> rs titivating over computers that keep crashing during what would seem to be the most
> basic operations.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Oliver.

   I have been told that Apples will boot and run Knoppix if you hold down
the Alt key at switch on, (friends use it for testing Apples after hardware
maintenance), and that would allow you to copy files as you wish.
   Alternatively use your older PC to run Knoppix.
   Many USB memory sticks are supplied ready DOS formatted, do you need to
change them or use unformatted sticks? Do you need a different format?
   I have copies of knoppix, but near North Acton Central Line, not close.
Can travel if needed.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk