[GLLUG] Hardware bits for sale

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 9 21:59:07 UTC 2012

On 9 Nov 2012, Richard W. M. Jones verbalised:
> I'm pretty sure that even if the lights do go out more regularly, it'd
> make more sense to wire a diesel generator into your house:

Quite possibly, if they go out for hours rather than lots of flickers.
If they just go flickery, a diesel generator won't help -- after all,
computers need *continuous* power, and none of my machines are laptops.
(I lost one -- on a surge protector -- to a huge power surge two months
ago, >270V for fifteen seconds. That alone makes UPS's tempting, only
the replacement claims to have 'surge detection' and did indeed
autoshutdown last month while I was out due to a claimed surge. Of
course for all I know it just shuts down at random intervals and tells
you it spotted a surge :} )

(aside: my parents just got a generator after a week-long power outage
caused by wet snow bringing down dozens of power lines in the wilds of
Yorkshire.)

--
NULL && (void)