[GLLUG] Alternative power supplies

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Nov 11 07:56:38 UTC 2012

On Sun 11 Nov, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> I've operated lots of gear from generators, too (including large
> broadcast transmitters!).  I have had AVR failures (automatic voltage
> regulator), which cause the generator to run wild - going very high
> frequencies and high voltages!

   The biggest problem is that they can run so fast that you can not control
them and they can run on their own engine oil sucked in past the pistons,
until they run out of that and seize up completely. We even discovered that
one did not have a fuel cut-off tap, cured by someone cutting the pipe.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk