[GLLUG] Alternative power supplies

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Nov 11 01:55:42 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-11-11 at 00:16 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 09 Nov, MJ wrote:
> >
> > How about connecting WFC like Dr Crampton does or petrol engine, but with JOE cell con
> > nected to it. All one needs is a good clean H2O source. Hmmmm let me think; a rain . .
> >  . Yar that does it. Off course on a living soul should know.
> > --
>
>    I have often worked with power from generators and can assure you that
> they are not problem-free. Apart from problems getting them to start in cold
> weather (we used pure ether) or doing a slow run-down if they fail or run
> out of diesel which can blow fuses as the frequency drops below about 45Hz
> and transformers start to look like dead shorts, we have had several take
> off as the speed control system failed, one had irregular speed variations
> as air bubbles were sucked into the fuel past a loose pipe clamp, and a
> series of problems with very narrow but enormous voltage spikes caused by
> the electronic speed and voltage controller. Make sure that there is only
> one output controller/regulator, otherwise it will probably hunt, with
> increasing variations of speed.

I've operated lots of gear from generators, too (including large
broadcast transmitters!).  I have had AVR failures (automatic voltage
regulator), which cause the generator to run wild - going very high
frequencies and high voltages!  I got around the problem (on several
occasions) by substituting the reference return voltage with a supply
from a car battery!  If you're drawing little current from the battery,
the output voltage from the generator is remarkably stable!

Regards

Chris