[GLLUG] Free Open Source Software and UK Education

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Nov 18 13:01:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 20:13 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    There are two major UK exhibitions aimed at the teaching profession, the
> Education Show at the Birmingham NEC and BETT in London. I have visited
> almost every BETT show and seen the emphasis move from Acorn to Microsoft PC
> plus a few Mac based stands. Most of the software is now web based, so
> system independent, but there is hardly any mention of FOSS.

I would be happy to be involved, and would assist with manning a stand.
As you point out, much of the educational software is web-based - there
is no reason to use a proprietary, expensive operating system and
software to display web pages.  Indeed - it's an excellent way to make
use of old, slow hardware that is insufficient for Microsoft's "latest
and greatest" shiny-ware!

Regards

Chris