[GLLUG] FTTH?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 10:26:45 UTC 2014

Hi

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:53:05AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On the subject of broadband, I wonder if anyone has had FTTH/FTTP
> installed, and what the costs (install/ongoing) were for them.

BT won't give much information on either the retail or wholesale prices:
	https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet
	https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Broadband/Fibre_to_the_Premises/pricingandcontract.htm

But this forum page suggests about £100/month plus a fixed install
charge of £750 and a variable install charge depending on distance
from the cabinet (£3.50/m):
	http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6267-openreach-increases-price-of-fibre-on-demand-fttp-product.html

For the average home user or small office I suspect that FTTC will be
more economical because the initial install charge are likely to be
very high if you are not close to the cabinet.

Speeds top out at 300Mbit/s download and 30Mbit/s upload, so higher
download the FTTC but not much higher upload.