[GLLUG] FTTH?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Apr 7 20:13:53 UTC 2014

On 07/04/14 10:53, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On the subject of broadband, I wonder if anyone has had FTTH/FTTP
> installed, and what the costs (install/ongoing) were for them.
>
> Rich.

I did.  BT's old offering was about as reliable as Virgin (on the
ridiculous).  It was very sporadic, and complaints to BT were met with
bafflement.  We were one of the test areas for FTTH, and it was
disappointing, to say the least.  That's why we went with BeThere - we
got a real, consistent 21Mb/s down, and their service was always on
(until Murphy put a pickaxe through a cable in the next street when we
were off for 12 hours).  It wasn't anywhere near a quarter of the quoted
FTTH speed, but it mostly worked!

When BeThere sold out to Murdoch, I (briefly) considered their
"service", but having had experience of the Virgin disaster (the
takeover of Cable Camden by Cable London, Telewest, then Virgin - with
the quality of service decreasing in seeming direct proportion to each
increase in monthly charges) I opted to go for the Big Boys.

BT's VDSL Infinity 2 service has been flawless over the last year. We
had one 2 hour, pre-announced outage (in the middle of the night) for an
equipment upgrade in the local exchange, and other than that, it's
always there.  There are some evident contention issues at peak times,
but that just means that their >120 Mb/s drops to their advertised 80!
I've signed for an initial year, and have yet to find much fault with
them.  I have a telephone and Infinity 2 deal with them, and the price
isn't actually much more than the old BeThere price!

Chris