[GLLUG] Direct Fibre To The House

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Aug 29 17:32:52 UTC 2022

On Monday, 29 August 2022 16:54:12 BST aidangcole--- via GLLUG wrote:
> On 29/08/2022 15:08, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > On Monday, 29 August 2022 13:40:54 BST aidangcole--- via GLLUG wrote:
> >> Would using Headscale / Tailscale simply solve this without all the
> >> routing hassle and admin ?

> Tailscale/Headscale would not solve any ISP connection issues.
> That said, it uses it's own private address space (both v4 and v6)
> allowing you to just ignore what the ISP is doing.
> Basically, it's a creative and very functional way to use Wireguard and
> IMHO it's worth looking at and learning.
> https://tailscale.com/
> https://github.com/juanfont/headscale

I can have a look.
At the moment I just have basic FTTC with a single static IPv4 address.
A domestic FTTH would cost less than half what I am paying now.
If I end up with a dynamic IPv6 address block my system would need to
automatically confirm the current prefix frequently. I could route everything
through an external static address or domain, but would need to pay extra for
the data transfer, so it may be cheaper to pay around five or more times the
domestic price for a basic commercial connection.
I am well past retirement and not running a business, so am reluctant to pay a
premium when RIPE.net say that there is no shortage of IPv6 addresses, and
providers should always supply a static address block.
I am not responsible for the current general lack of education, and do not
consider it to be a valid reason why it should hinder future progress when IT
and computing are now a part of the curriculum. Yes, many kids are more
capable than their parents, and would like to do more than I can dream of.
--
Chris Bell
Website chrisbell.org.uk