[GLLUG] Direct Fibre To The House

aidangcole at btinternet.com aidangcole at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 29 15:54:12 UTC 2022

On 29/08/2022 15:08, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Monday, 29 August 2022 13:40:54 BST aidangcole--- via GLLUG wrote:
>
>> Would using Headscale / Tailscale simply solve this without all the
>> routing hassle and admin ?
> Sorry, not understood. I have had to use port forwarding over a single IPv4
> address together with careful firewalling to do anything.
You would not need to do any of that when using Tailscale/Headscale
> An assigned static IPv6 block was designed to sort many problems and also
> reduce the need for customer support if there is any local neighbourhood
> distribution problem which could cause loss of lock, and re-assign all local
> addresses together. I have already needed to power cycle my sister's
> connection twice. FTTH is available to the entire estate, but there have not
> been many customer connections yet. I understand that some people have seen
> too many reports of problems associated with the analogue telephone
> replacement system provided.
Tailscale/Headscale would not solve any ISP connection issues.
That said, it uses it's own private address space (both v4 and v6)
allowing you to just ignore what the ISP is doing.
Basically, it's a creative and very functional way to use Wireguard and
IMHO it's worth looking at and learning.
https://tailscale.com/
https://github.com/juanfont/headscale