[GLLUG] Hello, a homeuse case question (old EeePC)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 21:32:20 UTC 2022

Hi

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 08:50:44PM +0000, MJ via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
> My Phenom MOBO went kaput, PSU + PCU or MOBO duno/
>
> NOW only hardware daily I have is EeePC for emails, but everithing is Slooooooow.
> My last kernel compile was Pentium 450Mhz running Mandrake, in late 90ties.
> Would specific kernel compile specific to EeeePC improve speed, or is this mostly bloated
> desktop even LXDE?

Most likely the slowness is caused by the CPU in the EeePC which is
usually an Intel Atom or low end Celeron. Probably only about twice
the speed of that 450MHz Pentium.

I've got a similar mini laptop but only use it for command line
network diagnostics. Doing a 'apt dist-upgrade' takes hours on it,
and that's just unpacking .deb files and not compiling anything.
Basic GUIs such as LXDE or fvwm run but forget trying to use
anything big like a modern web browser.

I won't bother with a kernel recompile as it's not very likely to add
any extra performance and will just stress out the machine for hours
(or days).

What is your timescale to get a replacement machine? It might be that
someone here has an spare that they are looking to get rid off which
you could pick up. I'm in West London but don't have easy access to
anything in the next few days.