[GLLUG] Read only?

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed May 25 09:40:32 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 17:36:59 BST Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 17:05:35 BST James Dutton via GLLUG wrote:
> > There are some SD cards that can have the CID reset. If you know what you
> > need it set to, you can maybe set it.
> > You used to be able to do it with Samsung EVO Plus 32GB MicroSDHC cards.
> > https://github.com/beaups/SamsungCID
> >

> > Kind Regards
> >
> > James
>
> This one was supplied by RaspberryPi with software installed and a
> RaspberryPi logo on the front as part of a kit. I have a small number, and
> all fail the diagnostics speed test in a model 3B+. I do have some uses in
> model 2B's, or as simple storage, but I now buy best versions from Samsung
> or SanDisk.

It seems the MicroSD card is dead. I tried hdparm on a laptop with a real
internal SD-MMC reader and it told me it is write protected. I tried

/dev/mmcblk0:
 readonly      =  1 (on)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 geometry      = 490976/4/16, sectors = 31422464, start = 0

 hdparm -r 0 /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:
 setting readonly to 0 (off)
 readonly      =  0 (off)

hdparm /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:
 readonly      =  0 (off)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 geometry      = 490976/4/16, sectors = 31422464, start = 0

but it still refused to accept a write, and a re-seat showed

/dev/mmcblk0:
 readonly      =  1 (on)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 geometry      = 490976/4/16, sectors = 31422464, start = 0

The original partions and files are still there, and do not appear to be
corrupted.

--
Chris Bell
Website chrisbell.org.uk