[GLLUG] Roll-out of FTTP / FTTH

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Apr 12 13:21:26 UTC 2023

Hello,
A fresh look at the FTTP/FTTH progress map on the openreach.com website
indicates that many areas previously shown as complete are now listed as still
being connected, and some not expected to be completed until over a year after
the analogue copper telephone system was due to be switched off. Is there a
shortage of manpower, fibre, or hardware? Perhaps just over optimistic
politicians? My house is in a small line of terrace blocks sandwiched between
a major road and a cemetery within one of the areas not listed at all, while
communityfibre.co.uk tell me that they do plan to provide FTTH, but not any
time soon. Much of their local installation work is being done by Kelly
Communications, who are also major contractors for Openreach.
--
Chris Bell
www.chrisbell.org.uk