[GLLUG] Roll-out of FTTP / FTTH

Peter Grant grantpe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 14:06:39 UTC 2023

Analogue telephone switch off isn't the same as removing usage of copper
lines for data provision. Via A&A, I have a copper line with data provision
but not telephone, at first as a specific provision from them but now a
standard option from Openreach for new orders.
It just means that the line has no dial tone and cannot be used to place or
receive calls at all, even emergency numbers. If I want a "landline" phone
number that can be called, it has to be via a VoIP service of some sort.

My area is down to receive FTTP by December 2026, rollout in progress. No
idea when I'll get it, but I really hope soon, as I don't even have the
option in my block to use Virgin, only physical media provider is Openreach
at the moment. No indication that either Community Fibre or Hyperoptic is
looking at my block any time soon, so I suspect Openreach will be my only
option for a long while.
Peter