[GLLUG] Roll-out of FTTP / FTTH

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Apr 12 15:02:11 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 12 April 2023 15:06:39 BST Peter Grant via GLLUG wrote:
> Analogue telephone switch off isn't the same as removing usage of copper
> lines for data provision. Via A&A, I have a copper line with data provision
> but not telephone, at first as a specific provision from them but now a
> standard option from Openreach for new orders.
> It just means that the line has no dial tone and cannot be used to place or
> receive calls at all, even emergency numbers. If I want a "landline" phone
> number that can be called, it has to be via a VoIP service of some sort.

Hello Peter,
Your exchange may have an earlier "stop sell" date. I assume that you will
move to FTTP as soon as it is available. However the intention is to remove
and scrap all the copper as soon as it is no longer required.
I used to work as an outside broadcast engineer and we used to get temporary
connections which were a mix of any old pairs available, usually not amplified,
including some phantom or super-phantom circuits as available. We had our own
power supplies and ringer generators.

> My area is down to receive FTTP by December 2026, rollout in progress. No
> idea when I'll get it, but I really hope soon, as I don't even have the
> option in my block to use Virgin, only physical media provider is Openreach
> at the moment. No indication that either Community Fibre or Hyperoptic is
> looking at my block any time soon, so I suspect Openreach will be my only
> option for a long while.
> Peter

You may find more information on the map provided by thinkbroadband.com

--
Chris Bell
www.chrisbell.org.uk