[GLLUG] Comments please

Alain D D Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Jul 23 14:40:42 UTC 2023

On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 02:44:23PM +0100, Greater London Linux UUG wrote:

> I believe it doesn't "need" an open source solution, it needs a common
> approach, like a set of RFC's, that allows everyone, closed and open source
> together, to move in the same direction, and by the very nature of the
> approach, be able to safely share data without a need to centralise it.

+1

Open Standards are more important than Open Source. With Open Standards you get
true competition and the best solutions will get greatest market share.

However: proprietary vendors will work hard to subvert Open Standards.

> Having different systems means not having common exploits. There are regular
> stories in the press about hospitals getting their systems hacked and/or
> data encrypted. You really don't want them all to be the same and all get
> hacked at the same time.

+1

> All this software could be closed source or open source, but they would all
> have to talk to each other, so while the source may be closed, the market
> isn't, and can't be, closed.

As it should be, but the incumbents will drag feet and make it hard.

Oh, also expect legal challenges.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/