[GLLUG] Comments please

Adrian McMenamin adrianmcmenamin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 14:51:43 UTC 2023

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 at 17:38, bap--- via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk>
wrote:

> The NHS is the largest employer in Europe. It has more autonomy than other
> government departments and in the main it’s run by people who know what
> they are doing. But the current government is piling on a lot of pressure
> to improve efficiency. They want better results without extra costs. Nobody
> really knows what that will mean. At the same time the government5 is
> probably planning to fold-in the care-services currently funded (barely) by
> local authorities. There are opportunities here.

One of the issues here is that there is no such organisation as the NHS.
It’s closer to a brand than even a nationalised industry.

This has definite strengths as you allude, but it also means changes of the
sort you are discussing are exceptionally hard to deliver.

For instance most GP surgeries are private contractors to the NHS and so
cannot be directly compelled to do very much.

> Elsewhere in the world every country has similar healthcare issues and in
> the third-world that sometimes means running software on ancient
> hand-me-down computers, often running old versions of Windows. They could
> do with some help too. The USA is looking at universal healthcare but it’s
> not going to happen unless the Democrats gain enough power to amend the
> constitution or someone comes up with a way to enable individual states to
> agree a nationwide strategy. Hell might freeze over first.
>

> So here’s a plan

Make the NHS revenue-neutral.

This would make the NHS the world’s largest software business - required to
make *profits* of well over £100 billion. Not sure anyone really wants that.