[GLLUG] Debian Live pxe boot

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Tue Jun 27 09:46:43 UTC 2023

Ken Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if someone with Debian and pxe understanding might point me
> in the right direction.
>
> I have a Rocky server with dhcp/tftp/httpd that hosts Rocky and Fedora
> as pxe bootable images. It works fine.
>
> I'm trying to do similar for Debian 12 but not quite getting the right
> incantations.
>
> The vmlinuz and initrd load just fine and i get the error "Unable to
> find live system filesystem on the network"
>
> I pointed the root filesystem at filesystem.squashfs. Is the standard
> vmlinuz/initrd able to map the rest of the system via httpd??
>
> Any tips welcome
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

I'm making progress. I added dhcp ethdevice=eno1  to the parameters in
the pxe configuration and now one of my PC's finds the
filesystem.squashfs and attempts to boot. It freezes at "Starting Gnome
Display Manager"

I tried another system that has more memory and it fails with a message
that it can't find eno1. Interesting.

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.