[GLLUG] Using LLM for support answers - please don't (Was Re: British Gas DKIM failure?)

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Sun Jan 28 13:23:26 UTC 2024

Hello,

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 12:42:20AM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany via GLLUG wrote:
> (this is a copy-paste from a... ChatGPT conversation):

Please don't.

If this was a StackOverflow site, your response would not be
permitted because you used an LLM (ChatGPT).

I think that StackOverflow's reasoning for their policy is sound and
would apply here also:

    https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/421831/temporary-policy-generative-ai-e-g-chatgpt-is-banned

In a nutshell, any of us, including Henrik, can easily use an LLM
yet what we can't easily do without domain knowledge is tell when an
LLM is *incorrect*.

When someone asks a question on a mailing list like this, I'd like
to think their question would be given as much respect as if it were
asked on a Stack site.

Thanks,
Andy