[GLLUG] Using LLM for support answers - please don't (Was Re: British Gas DKIM failure?)

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sun Jan 28 14:06:39 UTC 2024

Hi,

On 28 Jan 2024 at 13:23:26, Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 12:42:20AM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany via GLLUG wrote:
> > (this is a copy-paste from a... ChatGPT conversation):
>
> Please don't.

To clarify, that was only the list of things that could have been wrong
on why opendkim reported "bad signature". To my knowledge, the list
seems correct and can be usefl. I am not a professional mail sysadmin
(even though I set up email servers, during years, in different
environments).

The rest of the email is hand typed and brain thought!

Anyway, I'll not do it again.

> If this was a StackOverflow site, your response would not be
> permitted because you used an LLM (ChatGPT).

yes, but this is not StackOverflow (so didn't think that adding 4 lines
that I thought that were well explained) was a problem. Stating the
source.

I thought that it was a good description to help Henrik that could have
happened and fix the issue.

> I think that StackOverflow's reasoning for their policy is sound and
> would apply here also:
>
>     https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/421831/temporary-policy-generative-ai-e-g-chatgpt-is-banned
>
> In a nutshell, any of us, including Henrik, can easily use an LLM
> yet what we can't easily do without domain knowledge is tell when an
> LLM is *incorrect*.

I do have some (limited) domain knowledge and I thought that the 4 lines
were quite correct and a good summary (else, I wouldn't go answering
things that I have no idea).

I might still be wrong, in this case I apologise and hope to learn.

> When someone asks a question on a mailing list like this, I'd like
> to think their question would be given as much respect as if it were
> asked on a Stack site.

This is my third email trying to help Henrik, including sharing some
scripts that I use for a similar case. I really only want to help
Henrik, and I used tools that I had in hand to try to explain one of the
errors. I will not do it another time.

Sorry for the confusion here!

--
Carles Pina i Estany