[HLUG] Looking for CMS system

Matt Stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:38:32 GMT 2008

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am in the market for a CMS system which is easy to use.  I will be
> installing it, but someone else completely will be doing the designing
> of the pages etc - this is a teenager with average computer skills, who
> is interested in designing a website for some projects I am involved in.
>

> I have seen 3 sites named:
>

> http://www.joomla.org/
>
> http://www.mamboserver.com/
>
> http://plone.org/
>

> I don't know much about Plone or Joomla, but Mambo was mentioned here a
> while back, and I remember helping Noel ages ago installing Mambo at a
> LUG meeting around 3 years ago.  However, since then, I have dealt with
> a system which for some reason had a security compromise, and I tracked
> it down to a badly written Mambo package, which managed to get PHP
> scripts in /tmp, and got them to run!

I can highly recommend the modx content management framework
http://modxcms.com/

Design and build of sites is very easy by just using your html in either
templates or breaking it down into chunks and calling those chunks in
the templates. Security is very good with the majority of any php custom
code being stored in the database as snippets then just being called in
your page so there's hardly any scripts residing in directories on your
webserver for prying eyes.

 From a user/content editor perspective it's got a very nice management
interface with a tree view and right click menu, tinymce editor for
content editing and a pretty nifty file manager for css, images etc.
There's also plenty of user submitted scripts available.

For a developer writing their own stuff it has an excellent api which
I've found a doddle to work with and it's very easy to extend the
functionality of the management interface without hacking away at the
core code.

Need i say more? :)

Cheers
Matt