[HLUG] Partition problem with multiple distros

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 23:38:03 UTC 2011

On 13 March 2011 23:52, Paul Stenning <paul at sp-tech.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to install several different distros on one PC for our document
> freedom day event at the end of the month and have encountered a serious
> problem.
>
> So far I have installed OpenSUSE, Fedora and PCLinuxOS, giving each a 10GB
> ext4 partition as well as having a shared 2GB swap partition.  All works
> fine and the initial PCLinuxOS GRUB menu shows the three available distros,
> and they all run OK.
>
> However if I try to install Mint or Ubuntu the partitioner thinks the hard
> disk is all unallocated and does not show any of the existing partitions.
>  Gparted in both distros is the same.

> What has gone wrong and what can I do to make the partitions visible to
> Mint and Ubuntu installers without breaking what I already have?

Hmm, not sure of the problem. Have you set any primary partitions? Linux
doesnt need to see aprimary partition, you can install in a logical one, but
it could be related.

You may have to use another boot tool to allow mint/ubuntu to see the other
partitions. I think theres a distro tool, that allows you to do things with
the boot menu, and make changes.

What version of Ubuntu/Mint is it? If it was a really old one it would
recognise ext4, but i doubt youd be using a version that old.

You could try the beat of Ubuntu 11.04, which is a touch risky, but may see
the previous partitions - try it with a live cd, and then you can get an
idea of whether it could work ...

Julian