[HLUG] Getting data off an Android phone with broken display

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 10:48:40 UTC 2023

Hi all

Hoping someone can help .

My daughters android phone still powers up but you cannot see anything on
the display. I'm looking at how or if it's worth trying to fix this but
that's not the main problem at hand.

She has some files on the phone that she needs for a college work that we
need to copy from the phone. I can see the phone when cabling it up and
runny sudo dmesg but if I try and mount it it's not working.

I also tried android file transfer but to use this is need to change the
mode that the phone is using when attached to my Linux laptop. But this
can't be done as I can't see the display.

Has anyone any ideas how to tackle this? I'm sure there's gonna be a way
but I can't spend too long on it today.

Also for reference there's no sdcard in the phone it's just using internal
storage

Thanks

PS we're planning a Herefordshire Linux event in April regarding using open
source and Linux for multimedia work.
More details soon