[Herts] Linux web hosting

Thorstein Thorsteinsson herts at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 13:59:00 2003

I would like to set up a reasonably-looking home page with my own domain
name, etc. etc. So I've been researching into web-hosting providers, but
unfortunately haven't been able to find any on-oline comparisons or the
like. So its a bit of a stab in the dark. Do any of you clever people have
any experience/recommendations in this regard?

Some requirements:
Linux(!)/Apache
cgi (perl or ideally python)
mysql
ssh and apop access are reasonable requirments, I guess?
Disk space and bandwidth! (or reasonable upgrade terms, if it proves
necessary)

Hostway (www.hostway-uk.com) seem to provide all of these, but at £8.95/mth
for their most basic package, they're not cheap.

Or is the most cost-effective solution to run a server at home with a good
quality internet connection?

Thanks.
Thorstein