[Herts] Interesting debate

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Feb 2 17:18:07 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Dan Keeley wrote:

> Because if you've written it why not?  They gain support in the linux
> community as being linux friendly without actually supporting it - At the
> end of the day the manufacturer wins from all angles - You must be the
> only person i've ever heard of who's annoyed with a hardware manufactuer
> being inovative and producing a linux driver.

I'm not annoyed by it - I just think it's stupid not to state it on the
box.

> I dont agree with your other point either; Windows hardware is definately
> easier to setup for an amateur user than it is on Linux..  Especially if
> you're explaining how to do it over the phone!

Insert the disk and pray you mean?

I know that more recent version of Windows are better for this when using
only signed drivers however there is absolutely nothing to stop a driver
from killing other drivers in older Windows versions.

Common practices including replacing system DLLs made Windows a mine field
in many cases.

There is a reason support poeple tend towards the homocidal ;)

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month