[Herts] Wednesday Asterisk

Tony Friis tony-lug at friis.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 01:18:27 GMT 2006

We had a good meeting on Wednesday. Tony (that's me) had prepared hard
for the occasion, obtained a projector, which impressed the audience.
They could all see what was going on. (except when Tony stood in the way).

The demonstration was set up with a PC running Asterisk, a laptop
running xten with two connections, an extension to the asterisk box and
a remote sip connection to the plusnet sip registered by Tony.

There were phones and speakers all over the room, Nicolas wanted a photo
of the mains extension cables with 14 sockets in use, I don't know
whether he got it.

The slides covered most of the Asterisk configuration in brief and the
Dialplans extremely briefly, but a good overview was available with
handy illuminations of VoIP, sip, IP telephones, Asterisk trunk lines
and the failures apparent when the broadband connection goes down. The
assistance of a second slide show from the Hants lug was also enlightening.

There were questions and discussion throughout, and the audience
appeared to feel that understanding had been improved on this wide
ranging subject. Some amusements were added by listening to a few of the
sound messages available as part of the distribution - over 2000 in all.
These ranged from the obligatory "Hello World"  to "There's nobody to
answer your call at present; They're all recovering from a hangover" and
"She's doesn't seem to be at her desk, the naughty girl".
---- Well, it sounds better with an American accent.

A good time was had by all, not to be missed.

(((( but see message - "rant" to follow ))))