[Herts] Me...

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Mon Feb 27 21:51:21 GMT 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 21:26, lawrence howlett wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a newbie, looking to learn more about Linux etc etc...
> I tried to send a message to this forum but got a reply saying the message
> was delayed... so I am sending another! Anyways I am close to Stevenage and
> was thinking about coming along.. but I was worried about the fact that I
> do not really have any hardware to bring along, and your site seems to talk
> about everyone bringing hardware... I have a laptop, but I know how hard it
> is to install Linux on those... Could someone please clear this up for
> me...
> Thanks

I quite often attend without taking my PC. It's a desktop machine and my
monitor is big and heavy so it's a bit of a hassle. I don't have my own
laptop, but there's usually a few people there with theirs. Maybe you could
bring yours along and someone may be able to help you get it running Linux. I
understand the modern distros are much better at supporting laptop hardware
than in the past.

Some of us go along to talk about what we have been up to. As much as anything
it's a mutual support group to reassure us that there some Linux users out
there.

If you want to get a quick response outside meetings there are generally a few
people on our IRC channel at #hertslug on EFnet.

Hope to see you at a meeting.