[Herts] Me...

Ian Gregory yahoo at zenatode.org.uk
Mon Feb 27 22:02:01 GMT 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:26:04PM +0000, lawrence howlett wrote:

> <P>Hi,</P>
> <P>I am a newbie, looking to learn more about Linux etc etc...</P>
> <P>I tried to send a message to this forum but got a reply saying the message was delayed... so I am sending another!</P>
> <P>Anyways I am close to Stevenage and was thinking about coming along.. but I was worried about the fact that I do not really have any hardware to bring along, and your site seems to talk about everyone bringing hardware...</P>
> <P>I have a laptop, but I know how hard it is to install Linux on those...</P>
> <P>Could someone please clear this up for me...</P>
> <P>Thanks<BR><BR>Lawrence Howlett </P>
> <DIV></DIV></div></html>

Hi Lawrence,

First suggestion is to configure your hotmail account to send plain
text email rather than HTML!

Don't worry about not bringing hardware, there is no need to. I
sometimes bring my iBook but it is not running Linux and nobody
has complained .... yet:-)

Installing Linux on laptops is not nearly as hard as it used to
be. Unless you have a particularly unusual laptop it should be
fairly easy and you will find friendly people at the meeting
who I am sure would be happy to help/advise. If you are worried
about messing up your current (Windows?) installation then you
could try out something like Knoppix, which runs straight off a
CD and does not install anything on your hard drive.

So do come along to a meeting. If you have been reading this
list over the past few weeks you will be aware that there is
a problem with low attendance - new people most welcome!

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/