[Herts] Herts LUG Meeting Wednesday 14th March.

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 14:36:07 GMT 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Steve Clark wrote:
> Something I was thinking we could do some time is to have a discussion
> about how we could improve our web site. Nicolas has done a grand job,
> but I can appreciate if he does not have time to do more with it. I know
> we have a few members who work in web design/programming, so perhaps we
> can have a collaborative project to build something new that uses some
> cool technologies.
>
> We should not be shy in marketing the LUG and the web site will be the
> first contact most people will have with us.

Absolutely right.  I started designing a new site, but it's been left
waiting... thanks for the wakeup call :)

My progress so far is at:

http://hertslug.dev.preshweb.co.uk/

... the "next meeting" date is a shocking reminder of just how long this
has been waiting.... yikes.

Only the homepage is there, the rest of the links do nothing.

> Some suggestions:
>
> 1. A wiki section to allow members to post relevant stuff, e.g. further
> details on topics discussed

Very good idea, that could come in handy.  I currently use dokuwiki for my
own little personal wiki (http://wiki.preshweb.co.uk/) and it's rather
good.

> 2. A 'Planet' - a combined feed of posts from member sites

Another neat idea.  I recently had a play with Yahoo Pipes - we could
likely use that as an aggregator to provide an RSS feed of all Herts LUG
member sites/blogs etc.

> 3. A replacement for our Frappr page
> http://www.frappr.com/hertfordshirelug. This was neat at the time, but I
> would like to see us build something more open. I already posted about
> my own little example at http://bagofspoons.net/map/gmap.html

Sounds like you're the man with the experience for this one :)

> 4. Some new graphics. I think James said he could look at designing our
> own logo.

Yup, Jim was doing a new logo for us.  (Give him some time, he's preparing
to move into his new place, so I don't think the logo will be a high
priority for him ;)

> 5. A market page for people to offer computer related items they want to
> sell or give away.

That could be useful... our own little Freecycle :)

Cheers

Dave P