[Herts] Need a new router

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Mon Oct 15 11:55:36 BST 2007

I've had a cheap ZyXEL wired router for a few years now, but it seems to
be playing up in that I don't always get connected. For now I've
bypassed it to keep working, but I'm looking at getting a new one.

I've seen a couple on Ebuyer that look promising. There's a D Link
DIR-100 or a Linksys BEFSR41, both at around £26. Any comments?

All I need from it are 4 ports and some basic firewall options.

One thing that annoys me with a lot of devices like this is that they
use inefficient wall-warts that generate more heat than power. Do any
manufacturers do better in that area?

Since the last meeting I've installed MythTV on my PC. I just have a
basic set-up for now that allows me to record/play back TV or watch it
live via my Freeview card.

Did anyone look at the Wordpress LUG site I did?

http://steevc.dev.preshweb.co.uk/