[Herts] HertsLUG IRC channel - come chat! (+ site updates...)

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 20:02:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Just a reminder that we have an IRC channel to chat on whenever you
fancy it - it tends to be pretty quiet, but could be livened up somewhat!

It's #hertslug on Freenode - if you have an IRC client, you can connect
to Freenode (server holmes.freenode.net (mine, in London) or
irc.eu.freenode.net (round-robin DNS) and /join #hertslug

If your system knows irc:// links, then try:

irc://irc.freenode.net/hertslug

If you don't have an IRC client installed/configured, or don't want to
bother setting it up, then the Freenode webchat will do the job:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=hertslug

That will provide a quick & easy way to join in and chat.

Of course, there's plenty of other interesting channels on Freenode for
various Open-Source related topics.

If you use an IM client like Pidgin which can do IRC, you could
configure that with an IRC connection, so you'd always be on IRC and
available to chat when you want to :)

Now, about the site...

Nicolas - can we update the website with the up to date details, and
that web chat URL?

Also, we were talking about updating the site before, but we never got
anywhere with it - shall we come up with a plan of what to do (and who
to do it) and go for it?  Even if we just whacked up a Wordpress install
with a basic template, that would mean various LUGgers could have
accounts and be able to create pages, write blog posts etc.

Cheers

Dave P