[Herts] various bits from last nights LUG

Tony Friis tony-lug at friis.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 10:47:50 UTC 2009

Regarding the
    "USB driven monitor. Maybe someone will do Linux drivers for it"

This uses Displaylink technology -
     http://www.displaylink.com/technology_overview.html
which grew out of the ndiyo project, originally for driving multiple
displays over a network from one PC.

The USB drivers for linux were made available by Displaylink only in May
this year and they included only the hardware drivers, no X-driver and a
limited software API. Work is ongoing to provide an X Driver and it may
by now be available. More information at:

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/libdlo

I have a 19" Samsung 940ux displaylink monitor (Samsung call it UbiSync)
which works fine under Windows but not yet Linux. If anyone wants
further information I have a number of links as I have been following
this for some time and could bring it in to demo - though you'd have to
suffer windows to see it at the moment!

Tony