[Herts] Audio distros, JACK

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Mon Jun 22 12:32:14 UTC 2009

2009/6/21 Malcolm Smith <lists at thesmith.org.uk>

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 04:58:39PM +0100, Steve Clark wrote:
> >
> > I'm also interested in suggestions on a good distro to use for audio
> work.
> > There are a fair few out there. I want something that is going to have
> things
> > like a real time kernel and make it easy to set up Jack.
>
> 64Studio is (IIUC) more stable than UbuntuStudio, and the new v3.0 (out
> real
> soon now) is based on Ubuntu repositories. I've never tried PlanetCCRMA,
> etc.
> Other than that, Gentoo seems like a good option to keep up with the rapid
> development.

64Studio is looking like the favourite at the moment. I'll have to use the
386 version as the target PC is my old Duron 1200. I'll probably risk the
V3.0 beta.

I already scrounged some hard drives for the PC as the old IBM 'Deathstar'
died a while back. I was going to install them, but found I was short of a
cable. I think I got rid of them in my recent clear-out, but I expect I can
find someone with a spare.

It still seems hard to find good articles on Linux audio production. Dave
Phillips at Linux Journal is probably the best authority on the subject

http://www.linuxjournal.com/taxonomy/term/14

I've been getting suggestions on the #opensourcemusicians IRC channel on
Freenode. Only a few people there, but very helpful. I've also been
discussing recording on a general guitar forum, but the only suggestion so
far there was to use Windows. I want to avoid that if possible.

Perhaps by the next meeting I will have something to report. I may even be
able to do a 5 minute talk.