[Herts] Cheap Android for Xmas

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Thu Nov 17 14:26:56 UTC 2011

On 17 November 2011 14:03, David Precious <davidp at preshweb.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thursday 17 November 2011 12:49:39 Steve Clark wrote:
> > Saw this yesterday
> >

> http://www.expansys.com/acer-betouch-e120-android-smartphone-black-eu-versi
> > on+uk-plug-225335/
> >
> > I've bought a couple for my kids and they arrived this morning. The kids
> > needed better phones than the 2nd hand ones have have at the moment.
> Their
> > needs are fairly basic (music, camera and a few games), but this should
> > keep them going for a while. It comes with Android 1.6, but Acer have an
> > upgrade to 2.1 on their site. Only a resistive screen, but that's what I
> > have on my HTC Tattoo and I get by.
>
> Are you planning to do the upgrade to 2.1?  If you do, please report how it
> goes :)

I am, but not sure when. I did a Cyanogen Mod update on my HTC, but there
doesn't seem to be one for this phone. As there is from the manufacturer I
would hope it's going to be fairly simple, although it seems you have to do
it from Windows. Will have to use the netbook.

> I'm thinking of getting a new phone for my fiancee for Christmas, and this
> looks like it could be a good one for her - I'm slightly put off by the
> fact
> it's running the ancient Android 1.6, but if it can be upgraded easily (and
> still runs well afterwards) I might be tempted, possibly :)

Well I couldn't find anything even approaching the spec of this for the
price. You don't generally get Wifi and GPS for that. Even if I don't
upgrade they would probably still be usable for the kids.

Stay tuned :)