Debian...........Was: Re: [Hudlug] Proposed Xmas Curry

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Dec 14 12:52:00 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 11:15, Tim Bray wrote:
> Shak wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > Sorry about IRC for the last couple of days, I had problems with
>  > debian, got it sorted, got bored and now want to install something
>  > else!
>

> If you've got bored of debian, then just change all the stable lines to
> testing or unstable in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> And then do an
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
>
> and you can have more fun.
>
> I've been meaning to do this to have a play with Gnome2. Although, I
> have a feeling that may make this machine grind to a halt.

Naah,  I've installed Debian twice.  The first time (over 2yrs ago) I
v.quickly went from Potato, to Woody to Sid.  No problems.

I've just had to recently reinstall Debian due to a a flawed gentoo
install (ahem!!)..  I installed a base system from Woody discs (i.e.
without X and major apps).  Immediately upgraded to Sarge, then straight
to Sid.  (it's not reccommended to go straight from stable to unstable,
too many different packages, and you can reach the deep levels of the
dependency hell if you;re unlucky!)

When I was on sid, installed X etc...

Sid is generally pretty stable.  There are some problems sometimes, but
in  my 2 and a bit years of using Debian I've only had one where I had
to boot from a rescue disc to mend my system.  usually problems are
fairly minor.

...and I actually like Gnome2.  It's now the third time I've given it a
go, and it's now stayed on my system for over 3 days!! (a record!)

BTW to go between stable and unstable etc.. you must use apt-get
dist-upgrade instead.  apt-get upgrade will not install new packages
that are needed, due to dependencies, but will only upgrade packages.

Cheers
Chris