Debian...........Was: Re: [Hudlug] Proposed Xmas Curry

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Dec 14 13:25:01 2002

Chris Lindley wrote:

> Naah,  I've installed Debian twice.  The first time (over 2yrs ago) I
> v.quickly went from Potato, to Woody to Sid.  No problems.

I first installed debian on Feb 08 2000 (from looking at the date of the
/etc/hostname file - the machine is still running).

I've lost track of how many times I've installed it.  I've put at least
3 debian boxes in for people commercially.  And there will be another
one next week and I find a suitable machine.

> I've just had to recently reinstall Debian due to a a flawed gentoo
> install (ahem!!)..  I installed a base system from Woody discs (i.e.
> without X and major apps).  Immediately upgraded to Sarge, then straight
> to Sid.  (it's not reccommended to go straight from stable to unstable,
> too many different packages, and you can reach the deep levels of the
> dependency hell if you;re unlucky!)

The other alternative is to add the unstable apt sources in during the
install, and then you jump straight into unstable.  I haven't done this
myself, but see no reason why it shouldn't work.

> BTW to go between stable and unstable etc.. you must use apt-get
> dist-upgrade instead.  apt-get upgrade will not install new packages
> that are needed, due to dependencies, but will only upgrade packages.

yes.

Tim