[Hudlug] Have we got any usb experts out there?

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Dec 29 09:28:01 2002

On Sunday 29 Dec 2002 3:28 am, Tim Bray wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there with any experience of multiple usb storage
> > devices?
>
> Is your LS120 a USB device ?

Yes.  It mounts as sda, but I notice that from time to time I generate sd=
a1,=20
sda2 and more, up to sda5.  They disappear eventually, and seem to have n=
o=20
impact on anything, but I imagine they do have a purpose.  I never have=20
partitions on any of the disks, of course.

> I have a IDE Zip drive which mounts on /dev/sda
>
> And my Usb-storage Compact Flash Reader mounts on /dev/sdb1
>
> I'm not quite sure why the Compact flash driver acts although there is =
> partition there.  I may try plugging in both my compact flash readers
> and seeing if the second one comes up as /dev/sdc1 or if it comes up as
> /dev/sdb2 (which would be somewhat unusual).

If you have time, I would be grateful for feedback on this. I would expec=
t=20
sdc1, though after advice from dozens of people who have their own system=
=20
working I'm no longer sure about anything concerned with this :)

> Notice that for some reason the usb-storage device behaves as if there
> is a partition table there.

I've noticed that.  Many tell me that the LS120 must be mounted as sda1, =
but=20
it isn't so.  From your experience, however, it may be that the camera (a=
nd I=20
have a card reader that I never got going) may need to be sdx1.

Anne