[Hudlug] Non profit Wlan fr hudds???

Dominic Myers hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 11 14:07:01 2002

     From what I've managed to pick up in the press
and such places it does sound a little dodgy. 2600
recently printed an article about how vulnerable it is
too.
     On the other hand it does sound quite promising
and may create the skeleton for a different type of
internet. My understanding is that it isn't merely
possible for each WLAN to offer the ability to share
bandwidth with other users (either paying or not) but
that eventually using such things as line of sight
microwave links it would be possible for one WLAN to
talk to another, with the possibility of that
communication between WLAN's growing (Inter-network
anyone?). This would effectively mean that the
established infrastructure might be replaced.
     Slightly utopian perhaps but it would mean that
the ownership of the infrastructure is no longer
limited to those companies willing to heavily invest
in cable, this in itself does have positives and
negatives and begs the question of whether or not
someone who isn't contracted to provide access then
feels like providing it out of the goodness of their
own heart (its sometimes difficult to trust in the
motives of your fellow wo/man)? Though some of the
criticisms of BT I've come across suggest that
contracts rarely have any teeth in any case! Perhaps
in the future we'll merely use the big telco's for
submarine cable?
     It's a jolly interesting discussion in any case,
even some businesses are getting in on the act, I hear
Starbucks it trying it in some of their
establishments. One also needs to be aware that
providers of broadband access may feel that sharing
your connection with all and sundry might not be
deemed acceptable use!
Dominic

 --- Rob Shakir <rob.shakir@ntlworld.com> wrote: > So
we share our internet via wireless links so