[Hudlug] Gentoo problems!!

hudlug@mailman.lug.org.uk hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 19:16:05 2003

Hi,

well as I mentioned on the list a few days ago I decided to give Gentoo a
go!!

Well here I am four days later with a barely working system:-(

I finally managed to get 1.2 installed.  The problem here I think was that
the cdrom drive was slightly dodgy (I couldn't boot the install cd from my
scsi drives, so had to temporarily add an ide one).  replacing it enabled me
to install 1.2.  I went to stage 3 though as I really wanted my system up
and running!

So far after this, I've recompiled the kernel, got samba up and running
(this machine serves files to my wife's machine), and assrtd apps like VI,
Lynx and slrn.

However for the life of me this dammed machine will not compile X.

I've done a emerge --update gcc and emerge --update system. But X 4.2.1 will
not compile!

It barfs with a parse error, and Function Src_install, line 210, ext code 2.

Now I am NOT an expert on compiling, so am really struggling now!

My machine was overclocked, but underclocking and having conservative
settings for memory does not help in the slightest!

...and to cap it all everytime I try to recompile, emerge tells me that the
source files are corrupt, and I need to delete them and redownload!!

Obviously it is likely that these two problems are related.  But I'm using
the default gentoo download sources.

All I can think is that somehow my drives are being corrupted and this is
the problem!

Any help/advice please, please mail me!!

BTW this is a thread on gentoo forums:-

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=22734

Cheers
Chris